Monday, August 3, 2009

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince


Being a fan of the Harry Potter series, I look forward to the release of the blockbuster movies each summer. I'd been wanting to see the Half Blood Prince (HBP) for about 2 weeks, before finally going over the long-weekend with two good friends.

The movie didn't disappoint. The character development of Draco Malfoy was excellent. That blonde kid can really act. I also enjoyed the developing Ron/Hermoine and Harry/Ginny relationships. The quidditch scene was breathtaking. However, the best part of the movie was the climax - Dumblemore's death.

On the other hand, the movie didn't exceed my expectations. I continue to wonder how much 'darker' they can make the movies before they'll lose the pre-14 crowd that the books were initially targetted at. I also felt that not enough emphasis was placed on developing the Death Eaters. Lastly, like all movie series, it's hard to get over the feeling that this movie is simply setting up the next.

All in all, I'll give the movie three horny Hogwarts students out of five. Even though the special effects were best displayed in the theatre, you can probably get away with just renting the movie on DVD if you have a big enough television.

No comments:

Post a Comment