I usually have to wait for my bus for about 5 minutes in the morning. One of the little games I'll play is to count the number of cars in a row that only have 1 passenger in them. This morning, I got up to 17 cars (rathre a personal best, or worst).
Nobody knows more than me that carpooling is frustrating. It's difficult to coordinate opportune times, clashing personalities, and cuts into your independance. Furthermore, I ackowledge that some people choose to drive to work as a status symbol, thinking the car they drive, and the fact they can afford $200 / month to park in downtown Ottawa makes them "special".
All that said, I find it sad that with as many people saying that they value the environment, that the average number of one person cars I count in a row is about 6 or 7. There are multiple buses that go down Bank Street. There are many more buses that travel adjacent to Bank Street along the transit way. Why can't more people take the bus and give up their cars?
Yes, buses smell.
Yes, buses are inconsistent.
Yes, you might have to sit beside another person at a time of day when you don't feel like talking (if you're lucky enough to get a seat at all).
Yes, Ottawa city council doesn't seem to get that public transit is not a profit center, but an expense center (which should be run to minimize expenses, not to turn a profit).
Yes, not everyone can take a bus.
BUT come on...stop saying you care about the environment, and take action to dramatically reduce your carbon footprint. That's all I have to say about that.
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ironically, September 22 is World Car-Free Day. To celebrate, i biked to work in the rain – not that i own a car, mind you! ;)
ReplyDelete