Monday, December 21, 2009

Mean Reversion

Mean Reversion - "A theory suggesting that prices and returns eventually move back towards the mean or average" (http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/meanreversion.asp)

A couple months ago, I wrote an entry how things were going well for me, and how I was waiting for the inevitable drop. It's fair to say that I'm reverting back to my mean.

Instead of talking about that, and in the spirit of keeping things light given the upcoming holiday, I'd like to pose a question. Have you ever given or received the perfect gift? (note: Jesus's love and forgiveness, even thought correct, is too serious of an answer)

I LOVE the challenge of getting/making friends/family something they'll enjoy. Gift cards are only used for people I don't see often, or don't care about. It's probably my general hatred of the gift card industry (huge profit maker) that has me jaded on those things.

Back to the question, what was your favorite gift you got as a kid? Something only Santa could deliver ;-) The only thing I remember, I can't talk about here...or anywhere for that matter. One of my favorite gifts I ever gave was a Leafs jersey I got my dad a few years back. My dad doesn't often show emotion (remind you of anyone?), so seeing his face light up when he opened it, was a treat. Similarly, I remember getting my mom a "University of Ottawa Mom" sweatshirt that made her cry. She deserved that sweater...and wore it proudly.

Finding an appropriate gift has gotten harder as my budget expands. I think a lesser budget forces you to be more creative in your ideas. Creative is synonomous with thoughtful, and people dig thoughtful presents.

After reflection, my favorite "gift" each year is spending time with my family. We just don't see eachother that often anymore, and being around them makes the holiday special.

When unwrapping your gifts this year, make sure to remember what you're actually celebrating. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment